Finally some workspace management. So no more fiddling to get ComicRack right for your current operation mode (library browsing, two page reading etc.). But this feature broke the current storing of the GUI settings, so ComicRack will start with the defaults after this install.
I also changed all the global keyboard shortcuts to make them easier, more consistent and to reduce the 3-key monsters.
For the details, as always the LIST OF CHANGES :)
NEW: Workspace management
NEW: Export current page image to various formats
NEW: Option to autohide Magnifier when mouse is near border (default is on)
CHANGE: Sort folders in folder view
CHANGE: ZIP provider buffer size to 128KB
CHANGE: Lock toolbar now also locks the open files tab
CHANGE: Added keyboard shortcuts for the open files
CHANGE: Changing the Browser tab will correctly set the focus to the list
CHANGE: reassignment of all the general key shortcuts to avoid 3-key combinations
CHANGE: Open Previous/Next eComic from list now compensates for reverse sorting order
BUG: Blurred drawing of still loading pages broken (introduced in 0.9.48)
BUG: Wrong remove dialog in the main library list (introduced in 0.9.48)
BUG: When closing Browser, focus was not moved to the Reader
BUG: The "Show..." commands in "Browse" could brake the GUI (nobody using them?)
BUG: Viewer kept focus even when browser docking was "Fill"
For this occasion i dived again into the depths of my version control system and pulled out this very 0.9.0 release :). If you like to see what a difference one year can make, download it and unzip it into a folder of your liking. It will not interfere with your current ComicRack release.
Actually the whole ComicRack story started a lot earlier, as you can read here (the download link in this post is dead by now, but you can download the first ComicRack version here).
When you compare the 0.9.0 version with the current one, there are some striking differences: the very clumsy user interface (the browser, the dialogs) or the slow page turning speed as there was yet no precaching implemented.
And don't forget that lots of the changes are the direct result of you, the user of this program. They often started out as ideas posted to the User Forum. So if you have some great ideas for the next year in the life of ComicRack head over and post them.
I actually had the feeling that ComicRack did not have major stability problems. Wow, was I wrong... After some new reports on the Forum (hint: if you have problems, post them there), I really tried to crash ComicRack. Let's say I did not have to try very hard :/
ComicRack is a rather sophisticated application with about 25 threads running concurrently. These background threads do stuff like loading and creating thumbnails, precaching pages, updating information to the files, saving the changed library back to disk, converting a batch of comics to a new format and so on. One of the goals was to write ComicRack in a non blocking way, meaning in only very rare cases there should be progress bars.
One of the things I learned is that unrar.dll from rarlabs (which ComicRack uses to open cbr files) is not very stable in multithreading conditions. And if it breaks, all sort of 2nd tier bugs surfaced.
So two days of stress tests and really pushing the limit, testing in single and multi processor conditions, i would say that the stability problems should be solved.
CHANGE: Added "ScriptPath" global variable for Python scripts
CHANGE: Reduced Page arrow sizes to 60%
CHANGE: Whenever a new eComic opened, the reader gets the focus (enabling up, down etc.)
CHANGE: Showing the Browser does not set the input focus to it anymore
CHANGE: Moved loading pages/thumbnails indicator into the statusbar
BUG: Fixed closing open Stack when exiting ComicRack
BUG: Switched RAR to single threading - seems to fix memory curruption problem
BUG: Fixed invalid index in reader if image provider failed (0 pages situation)
BUG: Fixed index out of range in tab management
BUG: Fixed "Image in use" of the tab bar
BUG: Removed animating "Gear wheel" to remove other 2nd "Image in use" bug
BUG: Fixed skewed thumbnails in the Remove Question Dialog
BUG: Comics where not removed from the displayed Smart List when deleted
It updates the User Interface that almost stayed the same for the last 6 months with new dynamic splitters, which make IMHO hiding and showing of panels and sidebars much easier.
Also for you PDF aficionados, ComicRack now supports using Ghostscript as an alternative PDF engine. So if you are running into problems with the built in (and quite hacked together) PDF parser, head over to the Ghostscript website and download and install the latest version of GPL Ghostscript.
After this you can even read eBooks with your favorite Comic Reader :)
So you may question why Ghostscript is not in the ComicRack setup package? Ghostscript is a GPL program, ComicRack is (still) closed source. So I'm not allowed to link directly to any components of Ghostscript or put it into the setup package.
NEW: Option to put ComicRack into the System Tray when closing with the [X] button
NEW: Built optional Ghostscript support into the PDF parser. This should enable ComicRack to read all PDF files out there, if Ghostscript is installed on the system (this means also eBook reading :))
CHANGE: Small redesign of Magnifier setup
CHANGE: General change of the splitter architecture. Splitters are now always visible. One click expands/collapses the panel.
CHANGE: Added tray context menu and changed open to a double click
BUG: Fixed non square magnifier on rotated pages
BUG: Comic Info Overlays displayed page information instead of comic information (introduces in 0.9.44)
BUG: Fixed taskbar status when starting minimized and "Minimize to System Tray" is turned on